Charlie Hjerpe was first appointed to the Fire Commissioner in 2008. He was born in New Britain, CT in 1934. Charlie graduated from Cornell University as a veterinarian in 1958, and subsequently worked in private, mixed animal veterinary practice for 5 years, first as an assistant in Clarksville, NY, and later starting up his own practice in Torrington, CT. In 1963, he moved to Davis with his wife, Suzanne, 2 young children, Laura, 3, and Carl, 1, and began teaching food animal veterinary medicine at UC Davis as an Assistant Professor. They adopted their daughter, Kim, in 1969, at 3 years of age and moved to the West Plainfield District in 1970, after purchasing the Moon property on Road 95. Charlie became a full Professor in 1977 and from 1980, until his retirement in 1994,Charlie also served as the Director of the UCD Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital.